Book Reviews: The Mortal Instruments

Ah so it's been a while since I've done one of these hasn't it? So I discovered that I neglected to actually do a review for a few books in a few series so here's how it's gonna go: I review the series as a whole.

L to R: Draco Dormiens, Draco Sinister, Draco Veritas
First in this list is The Mortal Instruments. Now, as my awesome and lovely readers have seen before, I've already made a review of the first book HERE.

Now, I'd like it known what this isn't the whole TMI series... in its six *eye twitch* entirety. There is a reason behind this.

A little history lesson (which feel free to skim over) TMI was originally a HP fanfic by the name of 'The Draco Trilogy" (books in the series in caption) that eventually Cla[i]re changed into an original piece. Initially, City of Glass was the end of the trilogy but the creator of the Shadowhunter world realized how much she could bank off of the series and developed: The Infernal Devices, a prequel trilogy of sorts; The second half of TMI; and two short story series.

So cannon wise, I'll accept that it ends after City of Glass... like it probably should have. Now, I know what you're saying: I should give her a chance right? No. Sorry. I'm extending my leniency to TID and no further... The summaries don't sound as great as the first half of TMI or TID... Anyway...

The summary for City of Ashes a la GR:
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?
 The summary of City of Glass:
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

AH... where to begin? First, I feel like I should make a disclaimer.... I finished City of Ashes... yet did not complete City of Glass. I may pick it back up in the future [and I'll edit this post if I do] and I will explain why I didn't finish it...


Characters

Clary: Will cover it in another section...

Jace: Ah... Like with Clary, I liked him more in CoA than the other two. I strongly disliked his lack of empathy for his own well-being in CoG, his hatred for himself and Cla[i]re's rational for their being together... [before discovering they're not siblings.]

Sebastian: So he was more of a character in CoG, but still feel like he could have his own area seeing as he's really Clary's long lost brother and a bad mother trucker (still in swim lesson/kiddo filter mode...). So I like villains. I like villains who are knowingly evil. I just... I know, had I finished, I probably would see some justification behind his evilness.

Secondary: I really wish Cla[i]re had included Max's death instead of a secondary 'oh he died.' As for the whole Isabella/Simon pairing, I know they eventually hook up but... ah much like Jace/Clary pairing, they seemed forced. Alec... I like Alec better in CoA/CoG but grew to dislike Magnus. I disliked the whole Alec/Magnus pairing, as many people have said before me, their relationship is toxic. It's certainly not healthy to hide your relationship, but it's also not healthy to force your partner into revealing it before you're both ready. But whatevs.

Parental Units: I actually liked that at least Jocelyn and Luke had a bit more of a serious role than just being in the background. Maryse Lightwood's role also grew as I read... Her husband still had that 'I'm here vibe' which makes me wonder: why in most YA novels, the parent's just chill in the background allowing shenanigans to happen or fucking things up before the novel and having their kids fix their mess?


Plot

I actually liked the plot progression in CoA and a good portion of CoG. There was definite action where necessary. The interwoven subplots were a little confusing at first (as I mostly read sparingly on the bus after work) but I was able to pick things back up. I wasn't too thrilled with Inquisitor Imogen's replacement nor with his anticlimactic death. I especially liked Clary's rune powers (discovered in CoA then developed further in the first half of CoG).

Alrighty then. I can get down to business: Why I finished CoA but not CoG.

Clary. Yep. Clary fucking Fray. Now, my patience for Clary allowed me to go from CoB to page 361 of CoG but not finish it. I actually liked Clary a bit more in CoA than CoG and CoB. I felt that she certainly grew into her own in CoA and continued in CoG... Until her whining got to be down right annoying and she reverted back to her whiny little bitch from the first half of CoB. And it's because of it that I stopped reading CoG at ~66%.

Will I continue at some point in time? Maybe. As for now, It's shelved.


Overall rating:

CoB: 3 stars out of 5.
CoA: 4 stars out of 5.
CoG: 1.5 stars out of 5.

Overall: 2.8 stars out of 5. 

Comments