The Vault: Stories from Greten

Before I begin this year's first edition of THE VAULT, I'd like to mention that I've updated the Book List, my About Me page and my book pages. Since I've yet to write anything for Queen of Crows, I'll be taking it down. For now. Don't worry, it'll be back after I've finished Cerulean and the Guardian Heir. Also, I removed the link for Promise seeing as it is no longer available to read on Wattpad.

Well, now that that's out of the way it's time for...



Right. Seeing as it's no longer November (or 2013 wat?), I have decided I'll save my other NaNo novels for another November. There'll be plenty more Novembers in my life!

So instead, I'll do a throw back (belated throwback Thursday!). A few months ago, I tore apart the first ever incarnation of the Fantasy world known as Turr, called The Unholy Alliance (blah blah blah, name was a lot longer but I digress). Welp, this one will be for the next incarnation: Greten. Sadly, the majority of the stories within this world (pictured right) are unfinished so--like my Peter Pan fan fiction novels--I'll just lump them together.

I probably mentioned this in the last post, but Greten would be one of the few location/country names that would follow me through my adventure of creating--and changing--my own world. Since then, Greten is still a major power house in the realm and holds the all-mighty and all-powerful seat of the Hexagon Empire--the Throne of Casus--as opposed to its original barely-a-spit-in-a-bucket power it used to. Also, all the other countries no longer exist. Codeme territory and Cocly were the first to be removed in the next map. Aquatica was renamed Cyraeva then, along with Udel, was removed in the latest map.

But that's not why you're here. You're here to read about how much I've improved over the ten plus years ive been writing and how much I think my old work is a large stinking pile of crap. So originally, I was planning on doing four together: Thieves of Greten, Jinx Sort, Royal Witch and 'Abby Normal.' 

Sadly, Thieves is gone--likely lost since I've had a more than a few computers since then--so I can't tear that apart. Luckily, I have the others--or a portion of the others.

Let's start with Jinx Sort. Now, I have two copies of this: one chapter electronically and three on paper that I managed to find recently--Yaay me! Since I have more to the paper copy, I'll consider it the 'official' copy. Sadly, I won't be quoting much of anything--unless I deem it truly awful--from the paper version. Call me lazy but I'm not feeling too well nor do I have the patienceto type whole passages so I'm just going to paraphrase everything.

Jinx Sort was about a girl, our titular Jinx, who happens to find a magical bow. This magical bow, according to our villain, the king of Greten, will bring the end of the reign of his house. Coincidentally, it's also the would-be sequel to Unholy Alliance, set about a thousand years after.

It starts off with a very purple description of the events regarding this special day of her town's founding and what her friends--Lance--and family--elder sister Undine--looked like. I do like that I gave my characters distinguishing markings for their tribe; one pair of markings on one side of the face for those who are still young and a 'full set' for those who have reached the coming of age-- which I never mentioned how old so I'm just assuming.

Jinx is playing in her back yard with her two Great Danes. She is lured into this overgrown path to a statue of a 'demic'--immortal, demonic peoples that haven't been seen in a thousand of years--believed to be Kierra from UA. The statue explodes, giving her the mark of the goddess in the process: two triangles, a larger one under her left eye and a smaller one under the other.

Chapter one starts off with her waking up and seeing her town completely demolished... Let's stop here for a second. I know this is a piece of fantastical fiction but I'd think with a town being completely decimated, her house would be too. Mini-Ali Logic level: face palm.

Lance notices her markings and locks her in the highest part of her house for her own safety. (...) She gets furious that he locked her in there and their conversation automatically goes from 'why am I here' to 'do you have a crush on me.' Since it's late, I'm not going to face palm. Feel free to imagine me doing so. It looks like the gif on the left. Except it's a bit more violent and my hair never looks that good.

You know how I said I wouldn't quote anything unless it was bad? I know Lance meant he wanted her to be safe but:
"Wa-ah, NO! I just don't want you to be safe."
Hm... yes, locking her in the attic of her home while the King of Greten's men are firing at your town is totally safe. 

That aside, she talks him into unlocking the door and gives him the same markings she has (see above). He then allows her to leave the attic and she suits up: complete with a revolver and dagger. They leave together and are eventually captured by the enemy--they manage to find out that he's a fraud early on in the next chapter.

Chapter two has Jinx and Lance sailing in a dinghy toward some vessel that will take them back to Greten. In this chapter she has two flashbacks: one of her sister informing her of her engagement and the other of her father's sickness and subsequent death. The chapter ends with them sailing to Greten--Lance is not mentioned after her flashbacks.
Anyway, Jinx would eventually be/become one of three things: Kierra, Kierra's incarnate or a distant relative... I can't entirely remember, seeing as I lost the latter half of this story. Either way, I didn't find this worth finishing.

The next is Royal Witch. RW was about the princess of Greten, Serine, who goes on an adventure to find her now-missing elder sister. It starts off with Serine describing her family--four elder brothers and her missing sister--her betrothal to a picky prince from Udel and the fact that she is one heck of a tom boy--playing in the dirt with peasants. As if being a friend of the common folk ultimately entitles you to being a 'tom boy' and not a good-natured royal is beyond me... well, 12-13-year-old Ali thought this was totally okay.
...I raced out into the mud slipping onto my bottom. (My dress was in the castle so I wouldn't get dirty.) My tan pants were brown on the back. My white tunic was splattered with mud and my long black hair was covered as well...
That is from Serine playing with her peasant friends--who all happen to be boys, no real shocker there... Whelp, they play and stuff, Serine falls into mud and that's how I describe her appearance... Luckily it's better than "I looked into the mirror and this is what I saw...."

Wait, I found her full name!
Miss Serine Ziandrea Dalpadie Princess of Greten and daughter of King Bartholomew and Queen Adwen.
When I was in middle school, I met a girl named Ziandrea. She was a pretty cool cat--and likely doesn't read or know this blog exists... T'is a shame really--and I named my character after her... She's one in a long line of characters either were named or based off of people I know in the other world.

Suki and the Emperor...Actually, I think this is the only 'Next Gen' in this lump. The next gen of Turr was called Castrope--if my memory serves me right, I reused a varient of 'Castope' in one of my later and unrelated novels.

From what I remember, Castrope, like Greten, had island continents. Despite going through my half-abandoned collection of old notebooks, binders and documents at my parent's house, it seems Castrope is one of the maps that I'm missing--and have likely lost for good. 

Anyway, the world of S&E was in turmoil. The ruler of the great nation of Castrope--I tended to name my worlds after the power house country until high school--was possessed by some unknown evil and it was up to the MC, Suki, to save his soul. 

Now, I only have the "first chapter"--from what I remember, it was more of a prologue and a minute portion of the first chapter--on my computer and there's a paper copy somewhere but it seems to be missing... no real surprise there though. Oh well.


art by yonaz
The prologue basically started in the Emperor's study where we learn that he's not normal. We don't really find out what exactly happens but an elderly woman walks in presumably to help him in some way. She screams then it transfers to the lead, our titular Suki. Suki and her grandmother live in the tundra of Catastropia and are on the search for the mythical being known as a nightwalker. The 'chapter' ends with them returning home to their cabin--based off of the photo on the right.

From what I remember, the Emperor is possessed. His aids call on her Gran--who is a spiritual guide of some sort--to help him. Suki is also special, being another mythical being known as a 'Prong' (pictured left). I think they were shape-shifters of some kind who are a cross between a fox and a horned animal of some kind. Either way, she was also supposed to help him some how. The exact way I can't remember. Either way, another story that I felt no desire to continue.

Always,
Ali


Update 8.21.2016: Retroactively adding pieces to FF/FP and adding links. Sadly, these novels made it to the chopping block and are therefore unavailable.

Comments