More Updates and The Vault: Scratch Part Two

A lot has happened in the past few weeks so this will open with those.

I'll start with writing. I updated my story section. It was a little update: Leora was renamed to Queen of Crows and I replaced the cover with the new one. I do have a synopsis set up for it but, due to plot related items pertaining to later parts in Cerulean, it's not going up right away. Keeping with Cerulean, I'll be back to working on that after my hiatus starting on November 5th. On the side, I've started to read the Guardian Heir and take notes of what I want to keep in the rewrite--along with new items.

On to real life updates, in my spare time normally spent writing, I knit. I have a somewhat long list of things to knit people for Christmas and luckily I've got the time this month to put a dent in that list. Also, I've decided I'll be opening an Etsy account to sell things I've knitted so keep an eye out because I'll be posting more info on that later. And this weekend (November 1st through 3rd) I took an LGI (LifeGuard Instructor) course to become certified to teach people how to be lifeguards! Now I just have to wait for an email from the Red Cross and I'll be good to go :D

Now that that's out of the way, let's continue with the latest (and a very late) edition to...


I was hoping that I'd have this out in October so i cluld tear apart my old NaNo novels but, as you can tell, that worked out real well with what all has been happening as of late. 

Before I begin discussing the short second part, I should explain more of its history and where I got the idea for the title.

Before I discovered 'Badass,' I had discovered a wonderful HBO jem--that is still quite popular--by the name of "Band of Brothers." Originally, Scratch was to be set in World War II with some girl wanting to get revenge for her brother who was KIA. I only have a few notes left over from that version so I know that for plot. She was going to be a paratrooper or something (the title) and there was to be some drama involving people in basic training... It never got farther than that. At the time, I also didn't do much research so, in hindsight, it's probably why I stopped working on that version and opted for a more recent general fiction approach. Or it might have been that I was influenced by Quizilla's then-latest trend: stories set in boarding schools. 

I'll go with both. 

Okay so the second part was also not finished and I attempted to rewrite it so there's two versions. Both have different openings but, from what I remember, both were going to go the same direction. I'll address beginnings then talk about future plans.

Version One

The beginning of this version was set three months after Levi left New York. She's moved in with her stepbrother, Gavin (whose appearance is based off of Evan Peters), and stepsister, Bethany (whose 'face' I can't really remember--but that's not important). They live in this grand house on 'Lake View Drive' (which I stole from a street in my town) with Gavin's long-time friend, Jared--whose parents are (and I quote this from my character notes) "becoming one with the earth" in china and his appearance is based off of Hunter Parish.

Anyway, they go to a party next door--but not before she meets their very shy friend, Adam (based off of the actor Shane Hunter)--and Levi gets the smart idea to hop the fence, ending the chapter.

Before I progress into the next--and last--chapter of this version, I'd like to address somethings to my past self. I like how I described Adam:
Adam who waved somewhat shyly and turned away to prove he was blushing but didn't want me to see. He had deep chocolate brown eyes with former scars on his cheeks and freckles dashed on his face.o Luke (Jeremy Sumpter), Taylor (Nick Wheeler), Nigel (Brendon Urie) and Jessica (Lindsay Lohan--pre drug addictions and when she was still an attractive redhead). I prematurely 'ended' the chapter with Jessica interrogating Levi.

I liked Levi's frankness in this chapter; I wish I had this more in the first part. I hate the near 'insta-love' in this chapter but I also like that it isn't straight insta-love. It sets up for things that will come later yet isn't all 'omg I can't spend a second away from you sort of thing.'

Version Two

This one I was creative. This version Levi is midway through a psychiatric appointment discussing a real life dream I had. She bumps into a 15-year-old janitor who is quite rude to her and turns out to be a the son of the Dean--friend of Ted, her stepfather--by the name of Luke (he followed through from the original). The chapter ends at Ted telling Luke he and Levi are going on a tour of her new school.

I really hate that I used the first name of Levi's stepfather--granted, if I hadn't waited a few weeks before continuing, I probably would have remembered. It was really confusing. I found out who he was after getting the second chapter doc ready. I also remember that dream (party because I wrote it down) but it was also something that followed me into my later writing--dream recording that is. I do continue to use this in my stories and will probably continue to do this... if I remember.

The second chapter starts off during Levi's tour. While Ted is getting her things--schedule, key, etc--she's busy reading a bulletin board with stuff from the year book--including top couples. She runs into Tom (followed through from the original) and the attraction is back between the two. He invites her to a 'end of the summer' shindig, which she accepts, and Ted warns her of him, which she brushes off. They separate and she finds her room and roommate. Chapter close.

Okay I liked the foreshadowing in this chapter from her step-father but I wish Levi would have asked about it more. I also like that the near insta-love wasn't as bad as it was. In the original, Levi was all 'beautiful eyes. beautiful hair. beautiful this. beautiful that.' This version it was 'oh he's cute' and it was hinted that he thought the same.


Now that I've addressed the intros, from what I remember, I was going to have a love 'polygon' (see right). There would be some drama that I can no longer remember and eventually Levi would leave Tom and go to Luke. Right explaination: Levi and Tom would date yet she would flirt with Luke, Luke had a crush on Levi while dating her roommate, Casey, and eventually their exes (Levi's Ben and Luke's Angelina) would return and cause mayhem... well, Ben would cause mayhem--for reasons I didn't think of and am too tired to remember.

Anyway, that's all for now. It's late, I'm tired and I've got to get up early tomorrow. The next few Vault's will be past NaNo projects. So keep an eye out!

And, as Always
Ali

Update 8.21.2016: Retroactively adding pieces to FF/FP and adding links. Sadly, this novel made it to the chopping block and is therefore unavailable.

Comments