Book Review: Sisters Red

So I skipped a few with this one but I was visiting my local library and it was available so I jumped on it. 

Sisters Red is a retelling of the old fairytale, Little Red Riding Hood, but with a twist: Li'l Red is two girls, Scarlett and Rosie Marsh, who hunt the 'big bad wolf'--or 'Fenris,' werewolves in this alternate universe. Scarlett is a scarred girl--in more ways than one--who almost hungrily hunts Fenris after they murdered their legal guardian, Oma Marsh. Rosie wants to follow in her sister's footsteps but is pulled in a different direction.

I'd like to talk of the characters first. Let's start with Scarlett. At first, I liked her character. Toward the middle she did start to get on my nerves--with her obsession with hunting and her inability to allow her younger sister to hunt--but toward the end I grew to like her again. In a lot of their arguments revolving hunting, I sided with Rosie. In the end, I grew to realize, along with the characters, that, to Scarlett, hunting is her life.

Rosie. Rosie. In the beginning, I liked her chapters over Scarlett's. In comparison, Rosie's a typical young adult girl. Often times I forgot she was sixteen. She's still a bad ass like her sister but it's more of a 'badass-in-training sort of thing. I did fee unsure of Rosie's debt to Scarlett and, in the end, I was happy that Lett allowed her to 'do her own thing.'

Last but not least, Silas. I like him as well. He was a good love interest for Rosie. I liked that their attraction wasn't just 'insta-love' but grew into a crush and blossomed into a full on romance. After Rosie's runaway revealed the Fenris were looking for the next 'Potential'--a person who has the prospect of becoming a werewolf--I had an inkling it was him. Sadly, my prediction was correct but it was in a good way that had me yearning to know more and tearing through the last few chapters like a kid on a his Christmas presents.

As for plot, it was slow in the beginning but the action and romance kept me going. At first, it'd be a slow read, I'd pick it up every now and then to read it but it wasn't for very long. Then, on a few slow days at the pool I just tore through it.

Four stars out of five for fast paced action, kick ass characters and adorable romance.

Comments