Book Review: Gates of Paradise

I realised part way through Lost in Time that I had already read it, so it's easy to assume I'd start the Blue Bloods finale, Gates of Paradise. 

Told through the perspectives of four individuals: Mimi Force, former Regent of the New York Coven turned double agent; Schuyler Van Alen, the hybrid daughter of Gabrielle and Bendix Chase; Bliss Llewellyn, vampire turned wolf and daughter of Gabrielle and Lucifer; and lastly Tomisia, a past life of Gabrielle and the 'mother' of Bliss.

Each has their own plot that ties to a greater one. Mimi and her brother, Jack, have to search for 'parts' of a angelic weapon of mass destruction all while hiding their true nature from their loves and Lucifer.  Schuyler must search for her father and the blood link to the titular Gate of Promise. Bliss, with the help of her pack, must fix a rift in time to save the other wolves still locked in Hell. Last and not least, Tomi, deceived by her bondmate, must protect her offspring (who, after a couple reincarnations would become Bliss). 

I liked Mimi, even though she spent the better part of the novel pining over Kingsley, about as much as the previous book... Maybe even more so in this book. Definitely glad she and Kingsley got their happy ending.

Schuyler also spent a good chunk pining over Jack but, like Mimi, she managed to complete her quest and face the ultimate sacrifice.  Part of me was hoping she would return to heaven and see Jack there but I enjoyed where they ended up. I was also happy for Oliver in the Epilogue. I hope his future is as bright as it appears to be. 

Bliss, there was a triangle in her plot. Not as intense as the Jace-Clary-Simon triangle in City of Bones but it was there. Several times I wanted to smack Ahramin. I have never had this much dislike for a side character since Umbridge. I'm also glad Edon gave her the boot; he deserves better. 

Tomi.... I found to dislike Andreas. I wasn't really a fan of Michael's reincarnations--at least the ones I've 'experienced'--or Michael for that matter. His light very... flat in comparison to Gabrielle and he's supposed to be Lucifer's 'replacement' as the Prince of Heaven. I'm glad they 'separated' and Gabrielle's reasoning was explained.

All in all every unanswered question was answered and everyone had their happy ending. A first in reviewing: five out of five.

Comments