Book Review: Wolf Pact

I read the first blue bloods novel while I was a sophomore or junior in high school and stayed with the series for some time including reading the other companion novellas, Keys to the Repository and Bloody Valentine. I had a 'falling out; you could say because I didn't know de la Cruz published two the seventh book [edit 8/19] along with Wolf Pact until I saw a coworker reading Gates of Paradise. It took me a while but I'm finally getting to where I left off.

I started Wolf Pact before Lost in Time Gates of Paradise[edit 8/19] figuring it might help understand where Bliss was during Lost in Time [edit 8/19]. I'd like to start off with saying how much I've missed the Blue Bloods series. It's refreshing to come back.

Blue Bloods, for the non-reader, is a series of vampire novels that differs from the stereotypical vampire novel. The vampires in Blue Bloods--coincidentally called 'Blue Bloods' for the colour of their blood, humans being 'Red Bloods' and 'Silver Bloods' are the evil-doers of the series, Blue Bloods who have taken another Blue Blood as their 'familiar' and absorbed their soul--are angels cast out of heaven during Lucifer's rebellion (cue Paradise Lost), forced to 'reincarnate' and drink human blood. Through out the series, de la Cruz introduces the reader to the world that the Blue Bloods inhabit--the rich, upper crust of New York--along with slipping other supernatural beings: witches known as the Beauchamp family (next series I'm reading after completing Blue Bloods) and the werewolves known as the 'Hounds of Hell.' Which is where I'll continue about Wolf Pact.

After driving the sword of Michael into her heart and severing her bond with Lucifer, Bliss Llewellyn is now human and sent by her mother, Allegra a.k.a. the angel Gabrielle, to find the 'wolves who have been lead astray.' By the time Wolf Pact begins, Bliss has been at it for months with only the leads of a burned down house and a girl in a psych ward (both discovered after the book started). Lawson is a wolf spared from death by the great hound, Romulus. After legends of another great wolf, Fenrir, spread through the dens of wolves, Lawson devises with several dens of escaping Hell and their duty to their Silver Blood masters to become Hell Hounds, feared, soulless dogs forced to do cruel acts by their masters. With the help of the glom--an alternate dimension only accessible by supernatural beings--Bliss and Lawson finally meet and with their different drives--Lawson finding his lost love and Bliss recruiting their help against the Silver Bloods--decide to work together to save the timeline.

De la Cruz has won me over with the wolves. I want to know more about where they are going. (and how better than to continue on with the series?) Lawson was quite loveable--as were Mac and Rafe--and I was rooting fro him to end up with my favourite Blue Blood turned mortal, Bliss. I was always a fan of Bliss in Blue Bloods so it was given I'd like her in Wolf Pact. I was bummed about Talla but I accidentally found her fate on a wikia and it would have probably hurt more had I not known. The two I didn't care for were Edon and Ahramin. Ahramin was too distant but I grew to like her at the end. To be honest, I was expecting her to still be a Hell Hound so it was no real shocker at the end. Edon on the other hand was a sour puss--but he had reason to be--and, after Ahramin rejoined the group, he just followed her around like a lost puppy. If de la Cruz hadn't mentioned he was with her, I wouldn't have known he existed. 

Sticking with my review finishing with a rating, four out of five for loveable character driving plot yet predictability.

Comments