Book Review: Sapphire Blue


So I know this wasn't on my list either but, after reading the prequel, I just had to continue the series--as of right now I have the final book from the library. The blurb according to good reads:
Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.
Before I continue, this is the second book in a series and may spoil bits of the first book. You have been warned.

First let's get to the characters. Gwen yet again held my attention and I enjoyed being 'in her head.' I did feel some annoyance with her later on in the book when both she and Gideon admitted their feeling for one another--hello less than a week isn't really a long time... Reminds me of those cutsie little tween relationships that last maybe a month and are so in 'lurve.' 

To be honest, I was really irritated with Gideon at first and it just got worse as the book went on. I've never been a fan of hot-n-cold love interests. One moment Gideon's all head-over-heels for her then the next he's giving her the cold shoulder. Crap got old fast.

Xemerius. I was unsure what to think of him at first. Much like Gwen, I was expecting Gwen to have him to buzz off but, with his one-sided witty commentary, he became a major player. After Gwen's lessons with 'puffy lips' and Charlotte, I grew to really like him as a character.

I know from the blurbs, we're set that Count St. Germain is the villain. Despite this, we're showed that the Count may not be as bad... it's like cake. I did like that we got to see more of him this time in comparison to the first book and he was fleshed out a bit more.

Leslie wasn't in this one as much, which was disappointing. I really liked her but, from the sounds of it, she has a possible romantic interest in Gideon's newly-arrived younger brother, Raphael. Speaking of which, I hope Emerald green gets more into his character. First book we get some information on him, now this one we see him for the first time. I have to mention Charlotte, even though she wasn't as big a character as she was in the last novel. Last book, I felt some sort of pity toward her--she just had to give up her life's work because she wasn't the destined time traveler--but this book I just flat out disliked her... as a person not a character.

Now for the plot. I walked into this series expecting three books. Like the last one, I didn't see much movement in the main plot--mostly setting up for the next and final book--and we were introduced to a few subplots. I was expecting the subplots to take up more space than the romance plot. Toward the end, Gideon admits he's in love with her and the Count reveals some sordid information about Gideon. And, of course the book ended on just the right cliffhanger that, same day I finished the book (last Saturday) I requested the next one.

I'd give this a three out of five stars for lovable characters, interesting subplots but lack of major plot movement.

Comments