Update and a Ghost of Writing Past

So I've updated both my story pages and my book list. I've split into two lists. I came to realise I'm a slow reader and I'm certain I wouldn't be able to finish all 30+ books--especially with Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, which books one and two took up to a year combined for me to complete.

As for the NaNo front, I lost yet again. Not only did I not have the time to write but I also hyped myself up to write Cerulean so that, when it was time for me to work on it, I had no motivation. After writing that, I've come to the realisation that I'd be an editor/publisher's worst nightmare--Shigure from Fruits Basket if you will. 

Now that updates are out of the way let's move on to the next topic: a rant. Now this probably isn't a rant in the traditional sense. It's more along the lines of me poking fun at my younger writer self. 

Several years ago, before writing sites were even on my radar I wrote this crappy--and I use that lightly--fan fiction centred around the Legend of Zelda franchise. Except it wasn't entirely fan fiction. Link wasn't there nor was Zelda. Oh no. It was 'Ter of Ra,' also known as Terra. At the time, I hadn't been introduced to the amazing baby website known as 'Behind the Name' and that was still a few years off. Also, I was big into Teen Titans (circa 2002-2006) and probably watched the Terra episodes before writing. 

Terra was some girl who wanted to be treated as a boy. She was the daughter or granddaughter (can't remember exact relation) of this po-dunk town's sword master and, in defiance, she signs up for this sword/battle competition under that lovely name above. 

Now I'm going to draw on my old roleplaying days. In roleplaying, there is a 'style'--albeit frowned upon--that I've seen people do called 'god modding.' Now, 'god-modding' is when a player makes a character or 'toon' who is invincible and can do anything they want. Now, you're wondering what this has to do with this LoZ 'fan fic?' To some, it would appear Terra was god modding. How I worded it, she was god modding. In this competition, what I meant to say she used was a bo staff, instead I wrote 'stick.' Yes, my character managed to kick every man's ass with a bloody stick. 

Eventually she asks to be exiled from her town--which didn't have a name and had minimal descriptions--had to take a princess with her, managed to become captured by centaurs who lived in trees and were bent on forcing her to marry their prince... 

Sound messed up? You're not the only one. I had the audacity to think it was the best thing since Nutella and managed to post it on some LoZ fan website off in the recesses of the Internet. Luckily for me, that website either no longer exists or managed to see that it was complete rubbish and deleted it from their site.

If it was the former, I'm sorry your site didn't make it to 2013. At least there are millions of us LoZ fans out there (and I'll likely never write another LoZ 'fan fiction'). If it was the latter, I'd like to say thank you. After ten years of improving my writing, I'm glad to say I'm far from horrible plots and Mary-Sue characters.

This is where I'll take my leave. 

Always,
Ali 

Comments